While all motor vehicle collisions are dangerous, motorcycles by their design are more so. Almost all motorcycle accidents result in some injury, and about half result in serious injury. Some of the causes are:
- Collision with roadside obstacles, like roadside barriers, lamps, sign posts, buildings, fire hydrants, etc. (When a biker falls off their bike, they lose the ability to steer around obstacles.)
- Concussion and brain damage. Apparently, helmets reduce the risk of death in event of a bike wreck by 37 percent.
- Breakage of joints (elbows, shoulders, hips, knees and wrists), fingers, spine and neck. The most common breakages are the shoulder and the pelvis.
- Soft tissue (skin and muscle) damage as the body slides across the surface. This can be prevented entirely by wearing the right motorcycle apparel.
- Biker’s arm, where the nerves in the upper arm are damaged during the fall, causing a permanent paralysis of arm movement.
- Facial disfigurement, if in the absence of a full-face helmet, the unprotected face slides across the ground or smashes into an object.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured or killed in a motorcycle accident, please browse our website to learn more about your options and our South Carolina and North Carolina lawyers. For a private consultation with any of our attorneys, please call us directly at 877-374-5999 toll free. Our practice is state wide. We will come to you. Try not to worry. We are here to help. This is what we do. Call today.