When someone is injured in any type of accident, often the last thing on their mind is a lawsuit. But in our society, if an individual wants to be made whole after an accident, they have to take certain steps, and avoid certain pitfalls, to maintain their right to recovery. After an accident, make sure you:
- See a doctor, soon. Even if you are someone who shies away from the doctor’s office normally, you need to protect yourself from hidden injuries. Back and neck injuries may be present without pain, but may harm you in the long run.
- Investigate your accident. Write down the names, telephone numbers, and addresses for all people involved, including boat captains, passengers, bystanders, and other witnesses. You should also take down all insurance information you can find.
- Loose lips sink ships. Only talk to the law enforcement and natural resources officers about the accident. Sure, report your claim to your insurance company, but you are very unlikely to say something to another insurance company’s representative to help your claim.
- Never sign anything without an attorney. Other parties may try to get you to sign a release or settle. This is almost certainly a bad idea. Contact an attorney to get the full recovery you are entitled to.
- Get your claim rolling as soon as possible. By contacting an experienced boating accident attorney at Reeves, Aiken & Hightower.
The experienced attorneys at Reeves, Aiken & Hightower are ready to fight for you. Browse our website, and compare our credentials with those of attorneys at any other firm. Then, call us at 877-374-5999 or contact us at this link for a private consultation. Our practice spans the Carolinas, we can come to you.