Springtime Injury Risks

As of Wednesday, Spring is officially in session. The trees and flowers are starting to bloom, we’re preparing for April showers, and we’re finally able to put on a short sleeve shirt from time to time. While Spring is arguably one of the best seasons— it also comes with it’s own share of springtime injury risks. It’s important to be familiar with them, why they’re common, and ways you can prevent them. No one wants to be laid up in a bed with injury when they should be out enjoying this beautiful weather… 

Springtime Injury Risks: Getting Familiar, and Avoiding 

Runner’s Knee 

You’re getting back out into that 70 degree weather, and maybe getting a little exercise while you’re at it. Now that the weather is improving, you might feel like you can run, bike, or do your high impact exercise for a longer period. While the weather absolutely makes it easier— it also increases your chance of contracting springtime injury risks, such as runner’s knee. 

Plantar Fasciitis 

Warm weather means warm weather shoes, such as sandals, flip flops, or even no shoes at all. While these shoes give our piggies time to shine, and take a break from humid tennis shoes— they don’t offer solid arch support. Therefore, they can cause an issue known as plantar fasciitis. This ailment can be quite painful, and is common amongst those who don’t have good arch support in their shoes. Springtime injury risks come in all forms and fashions, don’t let plantar fasciitis ruin your springtime walks in the park. Instead, just wear a dependable shoe. 

Back Injuries 

Springtime, for many, means Spring cleaning. You’re deep cleaning, moving things, clearing out, reorganizing… This is a great way to get your house in shape, and also feel renewed in a new season. However, it’s an easy way to end up with a springtime injury. When it comes to big jobs, such as moving furniture, or pulling heavy things off of high shelves— wait until you aren’t the only one home. Furthermore, ask for help. Don’t end up flat on your back, with an injury. Instead, save those big jobs for you and a friend to tackle together. 

Preventing Burnout: How-to Avoid Workplace Wear Out

Work burnout is something that can hit everyone at any job. Sometimes, the burnout can get so bad, it leaves employees wondering if they should look for another job. However, there are some methods for preventing burnout that can help make work enjoyable again…

Preventing Burnout: Get Re-Energized

Start the day right

It’s possible to start working on preventing burnout before your workday even begins. Many people will wake up and head straight to work in the mornings. However, it’s a good idea to give yourself some personal time before heading out.

It helps to take 10-15 minutes in the morning for yourself. You can use this time to relax and prepare yourself for the day ahead. You’ll be able to handle whatever it is work throws at you with the right mindset.

Manage your workload

Having an overwhelming workload can also cause feelings of burnout. That’s why a large part of preventing burnout means balancing out your workload. You should figure out what you needto do vs. what you canalso do at the workplace. 

Teamwork is an important part of many jobs. However, there’s a difference between teamwork and someone shirking their responsibilities. If someone keeps asking for help and isn’t putting in the effort they should, let them know you have to focus on your own work first. After all, your own work quality shouldn’t suffer because of someone else.

Balance work and personal demands

For some, it’s difficult to find a balance between their work and social lives. Many times, their work will follow them home and so will the stress. That’s why it’s important to find that balance for preventing burnout.

If you can, try to leave your work at the workplace. Instead, spend that time off from work with friends and family. Or, you can pursue new or old hobbies, or just relax. Whatever it may be, taking that time for yourself is useful in avoiding burnout.

Preventing burnout is important for keeping an optimistic outlook on your work, and also keeping potentially careless incidents at bay. Taking steps to avoid those feelings, and injuries, you will improve your work quality, as well as enjoy your time away from the workplace. 

Office-Related Back Pain & Neck Pain

When you work from a desk, neck ad back pain seems pretty inevitable. You’re sitting in one spot, sometimes in an uncomfortable chair, and you’re looking down to stare into a computer. Each of these things, and the combination of them, put you at increased risk for neck and back pain. So, what can you do to reduce office-related back pain and neck pain? There are few no-brainers, as well as a few adjustments that might be a hassle— but will absolutely be worth saving yourself from these pains. 

Office-Related Back Pain & Neck Pain: Avoid Unnecessary Pain 


We mentioned that a few of these office-related back pain helpers would be no-brainers like this. However, good posture is at the height of the problem for many office workers. Most all of us are aware of what good posture looks like, and what it feels like. While good posture is something everyone should practice— that’s not to say it’s easy.

Good posture requires being mindful of your body. Furthermore, it requires that you right those wrongs when you notice that you’ve gotten lazy. As we’ve mentioned, having good posture isn’t as easy as wanting to do so. Many of us will notice ourselves slumped during the workday. Consider setting yourself hourly reminders, or even looking into ergonomic office chairs and lumbar support. Posture is one of the most important factors in reducing office-related back pain.

Work standing up from time to time 

Many offices nowadays offer standing desks, or some sort of converted work space for those who prefer to work from a standing position. While you obviously won’t want to spend every hour of every day working from a standing position— consider spending an hour or two a day from this position. Office-related back pain, while posture has a lot to do with it, also has a little something to do with staying in one position all day, and also the compression of your vertebrae from sitting in one spot all day. Choose to stand from time to time to promote good posture and a happy spine. 

Adjust the height of your computer and keyboard 

Adjust the height of the thing you’re staring at all day— and put it at eye level. By making this small step, you’ll take a lot of stress off of your neck. You’ll want to put your screen at nose level, and your keyboard at an angle that allows foe your elbows to bend at 90 degrees. The key to avoiding office-related back pain, and neck pain, is to find ways to reduce stress on your neck and back. This can be done in a number of different ways, but these few have proven to be beneficial to us…

Budgeting Post-Injury

When you’re out of work with an injury, money can be a top concern. While worker’s compensation benefits cover 2/3 of your regular pay— that extra 1/3 will be missed greatly. You have bills to pay, groceries to buy, and a lifestyle to maintain. Therefore, budgeting post-injury might look a little bit different than it does on a regular basis. For this reason, it can be difficult to make those adjustments, and sacrifices. So, we’re here to help. In fact, we might be able to help you make even more money than you planned on. 

Budgeting Post-Injury … and Maybe Making a Little More 

Prepare beforehand 

Everyone should have a savings account just in case. No one expects to be injured on the job. But, if you have savings to fall back on just in case— that injury will be a lot less stressful to deal with. This sentiment can apply to any circumstance, or unexpected expense. So, don’t save just with injury in mind. Save because anything can happen, at any point in time. Budgeting post-injury starts with preparing for incidentals before an injury ever even occurs. 

Sacrifice a few luxuries 

Finding small ways to cut your expenses is the first step to making up for the 1/3 of your missed wages. Monthly subscriptions are a great place to start. Maybe you pay for Netflix, Hulu, makeup subscriptions, or another combination of those things. Consider cutting most, or even all, of those expenses until you’re back on your feet. While it’s no fun, budgeting post-injury means getting rid of a few simple luxuries. 

Cut the excess 

We mentioned that there might be a few ways to even make money while you’re down and out. One great way to do that, is to let go off a few items that serve you no purpose. We’re all guilty of keeping clothes, shoes, bags, or things of the sort that we never use. Consider using some of your extra time to  post your clothes or items on sale sites, such as Letgo, Ebay, or Poshmark. By doing so, you can make a little extra money, clear out your closet, and make use of all that idle time. By letting go of those unnecessary items, you might just make budgeting post-injury a little less stressful.

Consider the art of couponing 

You’re looking for ways to spend less money than usual— but maintain your lifestyle. So, consider the benefits of couponing. Budgeting post-injury might mean letting go of unnecessary luxuries. However, groceries are essential. But, they are also quite expensive. That’s where coupons come in. Take some time, do some research, and learn from those who do it best. By following certain techniques, you might find that you get certain things at a lowered cost, maybe even free. In fact, some people even find themselves making money. 

In short, budgeting post-injury is challenging, but certainly not impossible. When you get creative about saving and making money, you might find that you’re better at it than you thought. 

Overexertion Injuries Prevention

There are plenty of different ways to face injury in the workplace. From a quick sprain, to broken legs, and even lost limbs. However, there are plenty of different injuries that occur in the workplace which you might not see right away. Overexertion injuries, for example, are one means of injury that can occur out of your typical work conditions. Maybe you were more tired that day, or handling a two person job on your own. Whatever the reason, you now have an injury that needs treating. But, what could you have done to prevent it? 

Overexertion Injuries Prevention: Worker’s Compensation 

Ask for help 

Overexertion injuries occur for a number of reasons, but one of the most common— is biting off more than you can chew. It can be easy to get caught up in the swing of things and think you can handle something on your own. However, it’s in those instances that you might find yourself with a sprain, strain, or tear. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, and admit when you can’t handle something on your own.

Use correct posture 

If you have a physically taxing job, it can sometimes be easy to forget that posture is key to avoiding those overexertion injuries. Furthermore, even if you job isn’t physically taxing— you might find yourself with the occasional heavy lifting. Bend your knees, lift with your legs, and tighten your core. By doing so, you avoid unnecessary stress on your back, and in turn, injury. 

Take a break every now and then 

One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to not take a break every now and then. We understand that you work hard, and time is of the essence. However, stopping for a sip of water won’t hurt. In fact, it will keep you hydrated and help prevent fatigue. Your muscles and joints are working hard— reward them with a break every hour or two. 

Overexertion injuries come in many different forms. However, the pain is always the same. Therefore, it’s important that you claim them through worker’s compensation. In the event that your employer makes doing so difficult, or begins denying your benefits— reach out to an attorney today. 

Healthy Recovery Behaviors: Post-Injury Practices

A work injury can be difficult to overcome both physically and mentally. However, recovery is likely the first thing on your mind. Getting back into the swing of things post-injury is a top concern for most injured workers. You want to go back to work, regain your lifestyle, and go back to your social spheres. But, before you can do that, you have to focus on your health and wellness. That’s where healthy recovery behaviors come into play…

Healthy Recovery Behaviors: Regaining Your Groove 

Stick to the recovery plan 

Your doctor is a pro at this, and the best way to recover quickly— is to honor their wishes. Every injury is different. Therefore, every treatment plan will be a bit different as well. As an injured worker, you have a duty to get back to 100% as quickly as possible. Furthermore, by doing so, you ensure that your employer does not try to deny you of your worker’s comp benefits. Healthy recovery behaviors vary based on your injury, but this one always remains the same. 

Set realistic recovery goals 

Being injured heavily hinders your typical quality of life. You might be missing yoga class, a night out with friends, or a few goals you’d set before the injury. Therefore, it’s not unusual for you to feel sad, lonely, or ‘in a funk’. However, finding ways to combat those feelings is a true sign of healthy recovery behaviors.

Therefore, it can be helpful to set recovery goals. Setting goals for yourself, even when they’re small, can help you to feel a sense of accomplishment— and get a few things done along the way. Consider doing your taxes before the deadline, convert your files to digital, or start a donations pile of old clothes you no longer wear. Whatever limitations you have with your injury— honor them, and do not exert yourself. But, a little mental sweat never hurt anyone. 

Balance your diet 

Give your body the fuel it needs to heal. Vitamins and nutrients, such as vitamin A/B/C/D, calcium, zinc, and copper can promote a healthy immune system and tissue growth. By choosing the right, health-conscious, foods— you’re practicing healthy recovery behaviors. However, you don’t have to be all disciplined. Balancing your diet also means indulging a little bit as well— however moderation in key. 

Healthy recovery behaviors are a practice that any person facing injury should consider in terms of regaining strength and wellness. You want your body strong, your mind clear, and to avoid those injury blues that so many people face. We offer our condolences for this difficult time, and extend our services if you find that you may need them. Every employer is different, and many will do right by you in this event. However, if they do not— we are here for you.